(1) Except in an elementary or secondary school that is subdivided by a firewall, the floor area on each side of a horizontal exit shall be sufficient to accommodate the occupants of both floor areas, allowing not less than 0.5 m2 of clear floor space per person, except that 1.5 m2 shall be provided for each person in a wheelchair and 2.5 m2 for each patient in bed.
(2) If vestibules, enclosed balconies or bridges are used as parts of a horizontal exit, their clear width shall be not less than that of the exit doorways opening into them, except that handrails are not permitted to project into this clear width more than 100 mm.
(3) In a horizontal exit where there is a difference in level between the connected floor areas, slopes not more than those specified for ramps in Article 126.96.36.199. are permitted to be used.
(4) No stairs or steps shall be used at a horizontal exit.
(5) If two doors are provided in a horizontal exit that comprises a part of the required number of exits from the floor areas on both sides of the exit,
(a) the doors shall be mounted adjacent to each other with the door on the right side in the direction of travel through the horizontal exit swinging in the direction of travel through the horizontal exit, and
(b) signs shall be provided on each side of the horizontal exit to indicate the door that swings in the direction of travel from that side.
Article 188.8.131.52 Ontario Regulation 332/12 Building Code, Information published by oncodes.ca for educational purposes only.